First of all you are probably wondering what the Bradley Method is.
- Badley Birth
The Bradley Method® teaches natural childbirth and views birth as a natural process. It is our belief that most women with proper education, preparation, and the help of a loving and supportive coach can be taught to give birth naturally. The Bradley Method® is a system of natural labor techniques in which a woman and her coach play an active part. It is a simple method of increasing self-awareness, teaching a woman how to deal with the stress of labor by tuning in to her own body. The Bradley Method® encourages mothers to trust their bodies using natural breathing, relaxation, nutrition, exercise, and education.
Nextly, you are probably wondering what the Bradley Method teaches.
- Badley Birth
1. Natural childbirth – Nearly 90% of Bradley® moms having vaginal births do so without pain medication.
2. Active participation by the husband as coach.
3. Excellent nutrition (the foundation of a healthy pregnancy and baby).
4. Avoidance of drugs during pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding, unless absolutely necessary. No drug has been proven safe for an unborn baby.
5. Training: “Early Bird” classes followed by weekly classes starting in the 5th month and continuing until the birth.
6. Relaxation and NATURAL breathing – can be effective pain management techniques with training according to the National Institutes of Health.
7. “Tuning-in” to your own body and trusting the natural process.
8. Immediate and continuous contact with your new baby.
9. Breastfeeding, beginning at birth provides immunities and nutrition.
10. Consumerism and positive communications.
Parents taking responsibility for the safety of the birth place, procedures, attendants, and emergency back-up.
Parents being prepared for unexpected situations such as emergency childbirth and cesarean section.
Yes, I am planning on using this method for giving birth to Nora. I have had people tell me that I am crazy or have no idea what I am getting myself into, but I don’t believe they fully know about natural child birth. The Bradley way teaches women to stay low risk through nutrition and exercise.
They also teach that relaxation is the key to success during labor. Relaxation is the safest and most effective way to control pain while in labor with out reducing sensation to baby and mom.
There is no changing in breathing. Some birthing classes teach you special ways to breath while in labor. The Bradley Method teaches women to do relaxed abdominal breathing while in labor.
The Bradley Method was started by Dr. Robert Bradley in 1949, when he started testing his theories with pregnant nurses. His ideas were soon reported in a news paper article called “A Better Start For Babies”. Dr. Bradley was also the pioneer to get husbands into the birthing room with the mother as her coach.
I hope this helps you some understand about the natural way of the Bradley Method.